| META TOPICPARENT
When accessing a directory (rather than a page) on your site, a visitor will typically see the index page for that directory. If no index page exists, the browser will display a list (or index) of the files in that directory.
Using the Index Manager, it is possible to define how a specific directory index will appear to those who access it. You can also turn off indexing, if you don’t want a directory’s contents to be visible.
- To navigate the Index Manager, click the folder icon next to the directory name.
- Click the name of the directory for which you want to change the indexing style.
- cPanel offers 4 options; select 1 of the following:
- Standard Indexing: Contents appear only as filenames.
- Fancy Indexing: Information about the files, such as the size and time last modified, appear.
- Default System Setting: The default defined by your web host will be used.
- No Indexing: The contents of the directory are not listed; visitors will see a message stating that the contents are “forbidden.”
- Click Save.