For cPanel versions 11.25/26
This address will receive any mail sent to an invalid email address for the current domain. The default address
is also commonly called a “catch-all address
It is possible to define how the default address
handles the incoming messages.
Set Up a Default Address
To set up your default address:
- Select the domain for which you wish to set up a default address.
- Click one of the following options:
- Forward to email address — Enter the address in the text box. You do not need to type “@” and the domain name.
- Discard with error to sender — Enter an error message for the sender to read.
- You can also click Advanced Options to:
- Discard incoming messages without an automatic response.
Note: this option is not recommended since the sender will be unaware that the delivery failed.
- Automatically forward messages to a program by defining a path to the program, for example /home/$utility, in the Pipe to a Program field.
- Click the Change button.
If your domain is targeted by spammers, forwarding mail to a default address
is likely to yield a large amount of spam.
Using the Pipe to Program Option
When using the option to pipe incoming messages to a program, make sure your script uses the proper file permissions (
). To change your script's file permissions:
- chmod 755 mysrcipt.php where
myscript.php is meant to stand for your script's location and file name.
You will also need to ensure that you are using the correct hash bang.
- #!/usr/bin/php -q — For PHP.
- #!/usr/bin/perl — For Perl.
Topic revision: r8 - 13 Nov 2009 - 15:28:58 - MelanieSeibert