Edit MX Entry
For WHM versions 11.25/11.26
An MX (mail exchanger) entry tells a client which server receives mail sent to a domain name. This WHM feature lets you list destination mail servers, designating a priority value to each. Lower numbers denote higher priority, with 0 being the highest possible priority.
About priority values:
- The primary mail server (the one with the lowest numbered priority value) will receive mail sent to your domain.
- Secondary mail servers (ie, those with higher numbered priorities) can be used for backup or other purposes.
- If you assign multiple mail servers the same priority, then when that level of mail server is needed, mail will be distributed to those servers randomly.
To edit your server’s MX entries:
- Click the name of the domain whose MX entries you wish to configure.
- Click Edit.
- To change the priority of a mail server, enter the new priority number in the appropriate Priority text box.
- The lower the number, the higher priority the backup mail server has. The server(s) with the lowest priority number will serve as the primary mail server(s).
- To change the name of a mail server, type the correct name in the appropriate MX Destination box.
- To delete the mail server, click the appropriate Delete link.
- To add a new MX entry, click Add Another MX Entry Field. An additional row of editable boxes will appear in the table.
- If you wish to receive mail on this server, even if the primary MX entry points to a remote server, click the appropriate Always accept mail locally checkbox. Mail will be delivered to both servers.
- Click Save to store the changes.
Topic revision: r5 - 27 Nov 2009 - 18:32:45 - Main.MelanieSeibert