For cPanel version 11.28
cPanel includes 3 tools to help you manage the images you use on your website.
- The Thumbnailer will resize an entire directory of images to your preferred size and store them in a folder called
- The Image Scaler can resize individual images.
- The image converter, under the Convert Image Format link, can be used to convert one type of image file to another.
cPanel includes an application for creating smaller versions of images, called “thumbnails.” This can be useful in creating a photo page where smaller previews of your images can be viewed before the larger original image is accessed, saving bandwidth.
The application is known as the Thumbnailer and can be accessed by clicking Image Manager, then clicking the Thumbnailer
link. From here, an entire directory must be selected.
The Thumbnailer application will not resize individual images.
Convert Images to Thumbnails
To convert a directory of images to thumbnails:
- Navigate to the directory you would like to change to thumbnails by clicking the button(s).
- Click the name of the folder in blue to create thumbnails for the images in the directory.
- Click Thumbnail Images to finish the process.
- You may use the Scale Percent text boxes to define how small the images should be.
- We recommend that you keep the Keep Aspect Ratio checked when creating thumbnails to prevent the image from becoming distorted by keeping the height and width proportional.
- You may click Reset Dimensions to return the Scale Percent values to the default.
After the application has completed the task of resizing your images, a
directory will be created as a subdirectory within the selected folder. The thumbnail images will be created with the prefix
is meant to represent the filename and extension.
Click the Your images have been thumbnailed into
link to open the thumbnails directory in the cPanel File Manager
cPanel can resize a single image with the Image Scaler
. The Image Scaler
operates by allowing you to key in percentages to scale the image up or down.
Rescale an Image
To rescale an image:
- Navigate to the directory containing the image you wish to rescale by clicking the button(s).
- Click on the image, in blue, you wish to resize.
- Click Scale Image to finish the process.
- You may use the New Dimensions text boxes to define, in pixels, how the image should be resized.
- You may use the Percent text boxes to define the percentage by which the image should be resized.
- You may click Reset Dimensions to return the values to the default.
- We recommend that you keep the Keep Aspect Ratio checkbox checked when scaling images to prevent the image from becoming distorted by keeping the height and width proportional.
- You may click the Retain a copy of the old image as checkbox to store a copy of the original image. Specify the directory in the filed below.
- Click the Your image link to view the rescaled image.
Convert an Image Format
cPanel includes an application for converting image file formats. Once you have uploaded the image to your website, it can be selected and converted through cPanel’s format converter. Any of the supported file types can be converted from one type to another using this application. Once the conversion is complete, the new file is placed in the same directory as the original by default.
This feature will convert all of the images in a directory. A single image cannot be converted.
Convert Image Format
To convert the image format:
- Navigate to the directory of images you wish to convert by clicking the button(s).
- Click on the directory, in blue, you wish to convert.
- Select the file format to which you would like to convert the images. You may select:
- Click Convert.