Requirements for Installing cPanel & WHM 11.28
We offer support for new installations on the operating systems and architectures mentioned below.
|| Minimum Requirement
|| 266 MHz processor
|| 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended when hosting many accounts)
| Disk Space
|| 10GB hard disk
| Supported Virtual Environments1, 2
| Microsoft Server® 2008 Hyper-V3
| OpenVZ (stable releases only)
| Oracle VM VirtualBox, VirtualBox OSE
| VMware® Server, VMware® ESX Server
| Xen, XenEnterprise™, XenExpress™, XenServer™
| Supported Operating Systems
(i386 and x86-64 ONLY)
| CentOS versions 4.x, 5.x
| Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® versions 4.x, 5.x
| FreeBSD®-RELEASE versions 7.3, 7.4, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2
cPanel does not support VPS licenses for the FreeBSD operating system.
cPanel does not support 32-bit Virtual Environments that run on a 64-bit host kernel.
cPanel supports the drivers and configurations provided by Microsoft.
Please keep these facts in mind when you install cPanel & WHM:
- We strongly recommend a system that exceeds the minimum requirements. This is especially true if you plan to host a large number of domains and accounts.
- We strongly recommend using CentOS or Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® if you are not an experienced FreeBSD administrator.
- You should install a minimal version of the operating system. All services that cPanel requires will automatically be installed during the cPanel & WHM installation process. Installing services prior to the installation of cPanel & WHM will cause compatibility problems.
To install cPanel & WHM on CentOS:
- Download a free CentOS DVD ISO. To use this ISO, you must burn the image to a DVD. Then, insert the DVD into the server and turn it on.
- Upon its first reboot, the ISO will install cPanel and WHM in the background.
- For more details, read our documentation on Installing cPanel and WHM. If you have questions, please contact our sales team.
How long will cPanel & WHM support my chosen operating system?
| Operating System
|| cPanel End of Life Date
| CentOS 3.x, RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.x
|| April 30, 2011
| CentOS 4.x, RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.x
|| August 31, 2012
| CentOS 5.x, RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.x
|| September 30, 2014
| FreeBSD 7.3
|| September 30, 2012
| FreeBSD 7.4
|| August 31, 2013
| FreeBSD 8.0
|| May 31, 2011
| FreeBSD 8.1
|| January 31, 2013
| FreeBSD 8.2
|| August 31, 2012
Read our Operating System End of Life Policy
for more details.
Topic revision: r5 - 29 Mar 2011 - 13:29:11 - MelanieSeibert