Why does Apache 2.4 require cPanel & WHM 11.36 or newer?
When we release a major version of cPanel & WHM, we do not introduce new functionality or features until the next major version. Instead, we restrict updates within a published major version to security issues, bug fixes, and other critical issues.
The functionality needed by cPanel & WHM to properly support Apache 2.4 does not fall into any of those categories. As a result, Apache 2.4 was not compatible until cPanel & WHM version 11.36 was published.
What are the functionality changes to Apache 2.4?
Apache 2.4 introduced many changes into the configuration of Apache. Apache 2.4 also introduced, renamed, and removed several directives.
cPanel & WHM servers use AdvConfig
to manage the Apache configuration file (
). To give our customers the best experience with Apache 2.4, we updated AdvConfig
to handle both upgrades and downgrades for Apache.
The changes needed for Apache 2.4 to function are available as of cPanel & WHM version 11.36.
What is the cPanel and Apache page that I see at my domain?
This is a placeholder page for Apache. Contact your web host so they can ensure that your VirtualHost is properly configured in Apache's configuration file.
Why does Apache restart every 10 minutes?
This is normal behavior. cpanellogd sends a
(graceful restart) every ten minutes to Apache for log rotation and stats processing.
How can I add or remove support for features like PHP or Java server pages to my Apache webserver?
EasyApache is used to add or remove support for features from the Apache webserver.
- EasyApache can be accessed through WHM at (Home >> Software >> EasyApache (Apache Update))
- EasyApache can also be run from the command line with the
Why does Apache crash with this error: [notice] child pid x exit signal File size limit exceeded (25) ?
This usually means that a log file has grown too large for the system (generally 2GB). To address this issue, run the
If you have extremely large or active sites that reach this limit quickly, you might want to upgrade to a 64bit OS, or disable logging for that site altogether. If you disable logging, you will gain a small speed increase, and avoid this error.
If you disable logging, you will not be able to generate statisitics for the domain.
Why did I receive the notice: HTTP Error code: 206 Partial content?
To find out why you received this message:
- SSH into the server with
- Enter the
tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log command.
- Refresh the page and you will see an error message in your SSH session.
What are Apache dummy requests?
Apache occasionally needs to wake processes that listen for new connections. To do so, Apache uses dummy requests.
- A dummy request is an HTTP request that Apache sends to itself.
- When used without SSL, these requests appear in access log files with the remote address set to the local host (127.0.0.1 for IPv4 or ::1 for IPv6).
- These dummy requests are a normal part of Apache's functionality, and you can ignore them.
- On a lightly loaded server, WHM's Apache Status feature (Home >> Server Status >> Apache Status) will frequently show a high number of dummy connections. This occurs because the feature shows the last request to a worker slot, which is typically a dummy request that wakes a process so that the process can be reaped.
- Apache's dummy requests cannot use SSL. It is possible that servers with hosts that use SSL can receive noise in the log file that resembles the following:
How do I customize how Apache treats certain types of files?
This is handled by mod_mime
directives are used to tell Apache that particular file extensions should be treated certain ways. Visit the Apache website
to learn more about them. You may also read our Scripts and Scripting Languages FAQ
cPanel & WHM with PHP 5
cPanel & WHM no longer supports PHP 4. We recommend that you update your site scripts to a version that is compatible with PHP 5.
PHP 4 is available as an unsupported custom optional module that you can download and install.
How do I upgrade from PHP 4 to PHP 5, and what changes need to be made?
To upgrade from PHP 4 to PHP 5, you should recompile PHP during the Apache build process. You can start the Apache build process in two ways:
- Use the Apache Update feature in WHM (Home >> Software >> EasyApache (Apache Update)).
- Run the
/scripts/easyapache command from the command line.
Make sure that the PHP programs and scripts you plan to run are compatible with PHP5.
Which version of PHP 5 will run problem-free now?
The answer to this depends upon which third-party extensions you need.
- For example, when installed concurrently, Zend Opt 3.3.0 and PHP 5.2.2+ may cause errors.
As incompatibilities are identified, we document them in the EasyApache 3 interface.
We also run some dependency resolution before the build. This skips extensions that are known to be incompatible in case a user ignores the warning in the interface.
Which PHP version shows on the end user's cPanel?
The system default shows.
How do I install and activate Zend Optimizer?
can install and activate Zend Optimizer with the
How do I install ImageMagick?
In cPanel & WHM version 11.34 and earlier, run the
script as the
user to install ImageMagick.
In cPanel & WHM version 11.36, we removed the
script from the cPanel & WHM system. We now provide a binary RPM package that will be used with cPanel & WHM. This package installs ImageMagick to the
- If you wish to use ImageMagick with Apache, we recommend that you install ImageMagick via a YUM repository. The basic packages can be installed via the command line with the
yum -y install ImageMagick-devel ImageMagick-c++-devel script.
- If you require PHP bindings with Apache, these bindings can be installed via the PECL utility:
/usr/local/bin/pecl install imagick
- If you require Perl bindings for your distro's Perl (usually
/usr/bin/perl), you can also install them via YUM:
yum -y install ImageMagick-perl
- Note: To use this method, Perl must not be excluded in
/etc/yum.conf Perl exclusions are used whenever
/usr/bin/perl is not the file shipped by the Perl RPM.
In cPanel & WHM version 11.38, we returned the
to the cPanel & WHM system.
- Run the
/scripts/installimagemagick script as the
root user to install ImageMagick.
: This information applies to both upgrades and fresh installs.
How do I change the maximum connections for HTTP?
You can change the value of the Max Clients
setting in the Global Configuration
feature of WHM (Home >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Global Configuration
The value you choose for the Max Clients
setting must be equal to or lower than the value of the Server Limit