Enkompass Startup Guide
This document is outdated. Please use the new document set.
Important: You need a license to install Enkompass. Use the cPanel Partner Search to locate a cPanel Partner that offers Enkompass licenses. Or, purchase directly from cPanel.
You can apply for a 30-day test license at the cPanel Store
Getting started with the Administrator (or Reseller) Interface
The Administrator Interface (or Reseller Interface) is used by administrators and resellers to control the web hosting environment.
You need to log into the Administrator Interface and set up the web hosting environment before you add accounts for Web Site Owners and their websites.
The Administrator Interface.
Logging into the Reseller Interface
Standard web interface
Point your browser to
is the address of server on which you installed Enkompass.
Secure web interface
Point your browser to
is the address of server on which you installed Enkompass.
Log in with the username
and the password you specified during installation.
The reseller hierarchy
- Admin (and resellers with Admin privileges)
- Remote Servers
- IP Addresses
- System Backups
- WSO Users
- FTP accounts
- Mail Accounts
- User Backups
The Admin account
The Admin account is the most powerful account in the Administrator Interface.
- Admin is used to set up the system-wide resources in Enkompass and create the main reseller accounts.
- This account was created at installation and uses the password you specified during installation. (We recommend you use a secure password of at least 10 characters. You can enforce this by setting the password requirements in Microsoft Active Directory Group Policies.)
Enkompass must know how to contact all the mail, database, and web servers in the Active Directory Domain that you want it to control.
Locating the Server Manager feature.
- In the left pane of the Administrator Interface, click the Server Manager link in the Server Configuration section.
The Server Manager screen.
- Click Add New Server.
The Add New Server screen.
- Type the IP address of the server in your environment that you want Enkompass to control.
- This is the primary address bound to the network card when you installed Windows Server 2008.
The Service Type screen.
- Select the server type and click Next.
- Enter a description for this server.
- This should be a name that easily identifies this server to your users.
- Type the username for the Administrative account.
- Type the Admin password that you set on the database or mail server.
- Click Next.
- Click the Finish button to add the remote server.
- This will take several minutes and you should wait for the installation to finish on each server.
- Repeat these steps for all the remote servers in the Active Directory Domain that you want Enkompass to control.
How IPs are used
The Add a New IP Address option.
- In the left pane of the Administrator Interface, click the Add a New IP Address menu in the IP Functions section.
The Add a New IP Address screen.
- On the Add a New IP Address screen, type the IP address(es) that you want to make known to Enkompass, and click Add.
- Enkompass will scan the servers to see whether that IP address is assigned to a network card. If it is not in use, it will ask which server and network card you want to assign the IP to.
Allocating an IP address to a web server.
- Select the IP address(es) you wish to allocate, and the web server you wish to assign the IP to, and click Allocate IP(s).
IPs are assigned one of five states. These assignments are visible on the View IP Usage
- Unused — In the system but not assigned to any use.
- Assigned — Assigned to a network card on a server.
- Reserved for a reason — An IP you do not want used.
- Reserved for a Reseller — An Assigned IP exclusively allocated to one reseller for use on his or her websites. Use the Reseller Center to allocate the IP.
- Dedicated — An Assigned IP exclusively given to one account for use by its website. Use the Create Account Wizard to allocate the IP.
The View IP Usage screen.
Create reseller plans
The Admin user and resellers can use the Create a New Plan
option to create plans that can be applied to new accounts, to easily select limits and features offered to users.
You can create a selection of plans to offer (for example, $30, $60 and $100 a month) with varying limits and features. Simply assigning the plan to the user will set their limits.
The Create a New Plan menu.
Copy and clone plans
Plans can be copied from one reseller account to another using the Copy a Plan
You can clone an existing plan using Clone a Plan
option on the Copy a Plan
screen. This is useful for creating a new version of an existing plan for you to modify.
The Copy a Plan menu.
Resellers in Enkompass can be hierarchical, with one reseller owning another and inheriting the owner's limits. The Admin user will create the top-level resellers and set their limits. Resellers can log in and create other reseller and user accounts, and set limits that do not exceed their own limits.
The Personalization section lets you configure languages and themes.
Languages belong to the Admin user and are available for all users once they are installed. Only the Admin user can add or remove languages.
Themes allow a reseller to customize the images on the Web Site Owner pages, adding the reseller's own branding. The reseller must log into the Web Site Owner interface to create and edit custom themes.
The standard themes supplied with Enkompass cannot be edited. Copy one to a new custom theme before editing.
Once you have created a custom theme, you can use the Clone Theme
menu in the Themes
section of the Reseller Interface to copy it to another reseller.
Non-reseller (Web Site Owner) accounts
Users who are not resellers can only log into Web Site Owner to manage their own web and FTP sites.
Creating an account
There are two options available for creating new accounts: the Create Account Wizard
and the Create a New Account
- The Create Account Wizard leads you through all the options for setting up a new account and is the only way to reserve a server for one website. There is a lot of help built into this wizard.
- Create a New Account is ideal for quickly setting up Web Site Owner accounts, but can be used for reseller accounts as well. Select the Create a New Account menu from the Account Functions section in the left pane of the Reseller Interface.
The Create Account Wizard and Create a New Account features
are available in the Account Functions section.
See below for a description of each portion of the Create a New Account
The Account Information section of the Create a New Account screen.
Enter the website's domain name (such as
), a username and password for the account holder to log in with, and an email address that will receive warnings and messages from Enkompass.
You can also assign a hosting plan to the account. When a plan's settings are edited, all the accounts using the plan are updated with the new limits. If possible, keep your accounts in a plan, so you don't have to update each account manually.
Next, assign a dedicated IP address to a user's website, or use the All Available IPs
option to allow IIS to respond to a request for the website on any address, on any web server.
If you are using secure HTTP or FTP, you must assign a dedicated IP address.
Click the appropriate checkbox to make this account a reseller; otherwise it will be a Web Site Owner. After this account is created, you should navigate to the Reseller Center
to configure the privileges for this reseller.
The Account Settings section of the Create a New Account screen.
If you opted not to assign the account a reseller plan, you can set the resource limits manually. Every account is either inside a plan or out of a plan.
Select a language and theme for the account's Web Site Owner interface.
Web Site Owners
The Server Settings section of the Create a New Account screen.
can have one mail server, one MySQL server, and one Microsoft SQL server assigned to the account.
- Mail Server — Assign one of the available mail servers from the list. A user can have one mail server or none.
- Database servers — Assign a MySQL and/or Microsoft SQL Server for the website to use. Each user can have none, one, or both types of SQL servers.
can have multiple servers assigned to them, so they can distribute them to their users and resellers. To add additional servers to a reseller, go to the Reseller Center
and choose the Resources
The Feature Access and User Contact sections of the Create a New Account screen.
The WSO Role
option lets you enable or disable access to specific WSO features, with a "role" being a specific set of features stored in the system for easy reference.
When you select Custom
, the pop-up window lets you select and deselect features, and save them as a WSO role.
User contact information
Type the user's contact information for future reference.
Click on the Create Account
button to create the new account. If you created a reseller, go to the Reseller Center
and assign additional servers and privileges.
The domain assigned to your account is your main domain name (such as
You can create subdomains under your main domain. These are addresses and web pages (such as
) that your users want to directly access.
The parked domains feature enters a synonym for your domain in the DNS server. This way, you can enter another domain name for your website. This domain name must be registered with a Domain Registry Provider before it will be publicly accessible.
This is a combination of parked and subdomains that allows you to host another unrelated website on your existing website. This can only be managed through the Web Site Owner Interface.
Enkompass comes with a scheduled service that can perform backups of the user files and the Enkompass settings on a periodic basis. You can configure the backup schedule and the sites to be backed up using the Configure Backup
menu in the Backup
The Configure Backup screen.
These backup sets are kept in the system backup folder and should be moved to a tape or backup server on a regular schedule. The Reseller and the Web Site Owner can restore accounts from this folder. The Enkompass settings are stored in XML files and are zipped together with the user's files to form a backup set.
You can install and manage certificates using the Certificate Manager
in the Administrator Interface.
The Certificate Manager icon in the Administrator Interface.
When a reseller creates a Web Site Owner account, the following structure is put in place for hosting the account's website:
- A folder is created for the website owner on the drive or web server chosen during the Enkompass installation.
- A IIS Virtual Directory is created pointing to the user's folder.
- One app pool is created to run the website code. Addon domains and subdomains also run in this app pool.
- A default mail account was created using the MTA that was assigned to the reseller. (This will be either MailEnable or SmarterMail.)
- An entry is put into the IIS7 Shared Configuration File pointing to the
web.config for the website.
For website owners:
Getting your website running with the Web Site Owner interface
Uploading files to your site
The Web Site Owner interface provides a File Manager which allows you to upload files to your website's folder. Zipping up the files and uploading them is the easiest way to get them into the folder. After a file has been uploaded, it can be unzipped using the File Manager.
The File Manager interface.
Both Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL are supported. Each has a separate set of icons in the Database
section of the Web Site Owner Interface. You will have access to only one MySQL and one MS SQL server.
The MySQL Manager icon.
The MSSQL Manager icon.
Use the MSSQL Manager
and MySQL Manager
options to create SQL databases in your web folder. This creates a blank database with the name you choose and the correct file permissions to run with your website.
Creating a MSSQL database.
Use the File Manager to download the database to your work station. Configure the tables and fields with your favorite tool. Then, upload the database back to the same location in order to use it.
Click the New User
button to add database users and to set their access privileges. There are different privileges for Microsoft SQL and MySQL.
Creating a MSSQL database user.
You can install and manage certificates using the Certificate Wizard
in the Web Site Owner Interface.
The Certificate Manager and Wizard icons.
To secure your website with a certificate:
- Generate a self-signed certificate using the Certificate Wizard, or order a certificate from a Certificate Authority.
- Install the certificate using the Certificate Wizard.
Generating and installing a certificate using the Certificate Wizard.
- Bind the certificate to the IP address using the Certificate Manager.
Options for binding a certificate using the Certificate Manager.
- Generate a self-signed certificate and bind it to the FTP site, using the Certificate Manager.
- A reseller can secure the sites for any of his or her users. A Web Site Owner can do this only for his or her web and FTP sites.
Website owners can create backups using the Manager User Backups
screen in the Web Site Owner interface.
These backup sets are stored in the Web Site Owner's area in the
folder. The Web Site Owner can also restore from these backup sets.
These backup sets should be downloaded to a remote computer using the File Manager
to ensure you have an offsite copy to restore the site with.
The WSO Manage User Backups screen.
Adding mail accounts
A default mail account for each website was created when the account was created by the reseller. Use the Web Site Owner menu item Email Accounts
to add additional email accounts and set the mailbox quotas.
The WSO Email Accounts interface.
Restarting the website
The website should automatically start when the first request for a page is received. To restart the site and all subdomain sites, use the Restart Websites
The WSO Restart Websites interface.