: You need a license in order to install Enkompass. Use the cPanel Partner Search
to locate a cPanel Partner that offers Enkompass licenses. Or, purchase directly from cPanel
. You can apply for a 30-day test license at the cPanel Store
Before You Begin
First, a couple of important notes:
- Your Enkompass server and any servers you wish to manage using Enkompass must be installed on an x64-bit version of Windows Server® 2008 Web Edition, Standard, Data Center, or Enterprise.
- You will need to install Windows Server, then install Active Directory before you install Enkompass.
- Note: If you are using the Web Edition of Windows Server® 2008, you will need to install Active Directory on a separate server. Then, add the Web Edition server to the Active Directory domain.
Turning off User Account Control
Enkompass cannot complete the installation of its services unless User Account Control is turned off. You must do this for every
server in the Enkompass domain.
To turn off User Account Control:
From your Windows Start
menu, choose Control Panel
, and select the icon for User Accounts
Select Turn User Account Control on or off
Uncheck the box marked Use User Account Control to help protect your computer
, and click OK
A dialog box appears stating: You must restart your computer to apply these changes
Click Restart Now
and wait for the server to restart.
Services Installed by Enkompass
Certain services, and the Administrator account, are installed by the Enkompass Installer, as detailed below. This section is included for your reference.
- Admin account — Enkompass installs services on the server on which it runs, and on all the servers it must control. These services must run under an administrator account. Because the environment uses Active Directory, this account only needs to be created once. Normally, this account is named Admin, and it is a member of DNSAdmins, SchemaAdmins, DomainAdmins, Cryptographic Operators, and Administrators. You can find more information about creating this user in the Create a New Account section of our Installing Windows Server documentation.
- Enkompass WCF Service — This service provides the core functionality of Enkompass. It communicates with the Reseller and Web Site Owner Interfaces using Windows Communications Foundation. It is installed only on the Enkompass server.
- Mail Enable Controller Service — A service is installed on the MailEnable servers to allow Enkompass to administer the mail accounts.
- MySQL Controller Service — We provide an interface to communicate with the distributed MySQL Servers. This service is only installed on the Enkompass server.
- Enkompass Certificate Service — A service is installed on all servers, allowing certificates to be installed and managed on all servers.
- Enkompass Web Logging Service — This service will coordinate and consolidate reports from all of the web servers within the system.
- Enkompass Service Monitoring Service — Enkompass includes a useful utility for monitoring services that run on your servers. This application reaches out to every machine within your system and ensures that certain services are up and running.
- Enkompass Queuing Service — This service allows Enkompass to queue and coordinate tasks for all of the servers within your system.
Make sure that the following ports are open for all servers in the Active Directory Domain
|| Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
|| Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) — WSOI, PreAuth, MOI
|| WCF's Server Administrator Interface, StepLogging, Server Administrator Interface Streaming, and ServiceMonitor
|| WCF's Microsoft® Message Queuing
|| MailEnable connector service's WCF connections
Make sure that the following ports are open for all web servers
You should also make sure that the following ports are open for the Enkompass server
|| Website Owner Interface
|| Website Owner Interface over SSL
|| Server Administrator Interface
|| Server Administrator Interface over SSL
|| Mail Owner Interface
|| Mail Owner Interface over SSL
To successfully complete the Server Connection
test in the Enkompass Server Manager
feature, you will need to allow ICMP (file and printer sharing) for remote servers.
1. Use the Administrator's account
you set up after installing Windows Server to log into the server where Enkompass will be installed.
- All the Enkompass services will run with the privileges of this account on all the servers in the Active Directory Domain.
2. Set up a share to hold all the account and website data.
- The share must be an actual drive on a SAN, NAS, or file server where Windows Disk Quota Manager Service can run.
- You will need to use a UNC path such as
\\188.8.131.52\e. We strongly recommend using a location that all of the servers in the Active Directory domain can quickly access and that it be a RAID drive.
- Set up the share with the following permissions. To access permissions, right click on the share's icon and select Properties from the resulting menu. In the new window, select the Sharing tab and click the Advanced Sharing... button. In the new window, click the Permissions button to access the share's permissions.
Everyone — Allow read.
3. Set up a shared folder that all the web servers can reach; this folder will be used for IIS configuration.
- Set up the share with these permissions:
Everyone — Allow read.
4. Download the Enkompass Installation Set from httpupdate.cpanel.net/enkompass
5. Run the installer, read the End User License Agreements, and click Accept
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Enkompass will install its prerequisites.
The first screen of the Enkompass installer.
The Enkompass Setup Wizard
The Enkompass Setup Wizard will guide you through the installation.
When the Welcome
screen appears, click Next
You will see the Enkompass End User License Agreement. Click the checkbox next to I accept the terms in the License Agreement
. Then, click Next
Accept the terms of the EULA to proceed with installation.
Here is a little help with the installer entries:
— The folder where Enkompass will be installed.
Active Directory Domain
The Destination Folder screen.
— The name of your Active Directory Domain is displayed for your records.
Enkompass account name
— The installer will create an account with the correct privileges to install and manage Enkompass.
To avoid configuration conflicts, do not use "Admin" or "Administrator" as your Enkompass account name.
Enkompass account password
— Type a strong password twice and make sure you remember it.
Administrator contact email
The Active Directory Domain appears when you enter Enkompass account information.
— The administrator's email address, to which system messages will be sent.
The Admin Contact Information screen.
— The installer displays the main IP address of the server.
Primary DNS Server
The Main IP Address screen.
— The installer displays the IP address of the Active Directory Server with the integrated DNS.
Enable Disk Quotas
The Primary DNS Server screen.
- If you ever want to limit the amount of disk space used by accounts, click the checkbox next to Enable Quotas.
- Uncheck the box if you are using a storage device that does not support Windows Disk Quotas.
Volume or UNC Share Path
Enabling quotas on the server.
— Type the location of the shared folder you set up in step 2. This folder will store the websites and accounts, and your IIS Virtual Directories will point here.
Directory for Enkompass Accounts
The Website Share Path screen.
— The main directory for the websites and accounts on the above Volume or UNC Share Path
Destination directory for account backup
The Website Data Folder screen.
— System backups are stored in folders on this drive so you can recover the accounts. This should be a different drive from the one where the accounts are stored.
Enkompass will set up IIS to use a shared configuration. Enter a UNC path that will be accessible to all of the IIS servers
The Backup Location screen.
— Type the location of the shared folder you set up in step 3 above. This share will contain the configuration files that IIS and Enkompass use to make the users' websites run on the available IIS servers.
The Setup IIS Shared Configuration screen.
Enkompass will display the IIS encryption password
. This password is used to encrypt data passed among servers in your Active Directory domain.
- The encrypted password is auto-generated.
- It will appear in the manifest displayed after Enkompass is finished installing. Be sure to save this manifest in a secure location, not on this server.
The IIS Encryption Password screen.
The installer should be ready to install Enkompass. The following screen will appear:
The Ready to install Enkompass screen.
Once the installation has completed, Enkompass will display the Completed Setup
The Completed Setup screen.
The Enkompass installer will place a manifest that lists your sever's installation settings on the desktop. This file is named
Be sure to move this file to a secure place, as it lists sensitive information about your server.