Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request
For WHM version 11.40
(Home >> SSL/TLS >> Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request)
You can use this feature to simultaneously generate both a self-signed SSL certificate
and a Certificate Signing Request (CSR
) for a domain. You can also generate a private key
with this feature, which is essential for self-signed certificates and purchased certificates.
If you wish to purchase a certificate
, you will need to submit the CSR
to your chosen certificate authority
. They will provide you with a certificate
, typically in a zip file sent through email.
For more information, read our Purchase and Install an SSL Certificate
Before you begin
Before you generate an SSL certificate
, follow these steps:
- In the Contact Info section, enter an email address in the Email Address textbox if you wish to receive the SSL certificate, private key, and CSR in an email once this process is complete. This is optional.
- Note: Do not email the private key if your email service provider does not support secure mail via SSL/TLS.
- In the Private Key Options section, select the key size from the menu. We recommend that you choose
Generate an SSL certificate and CSR
To generate an SSL certificate
- In the Domains field, enter the domain name of the website that the certificate will secure.
- To learn about how to share SSL certificates, read our Manage SSL Hosts documentation.
- In the City field, enter the complete name of the city in which your servers are located.
- In the State field, enter the complete name of the state in which your servers are located.
- In the Country field, select the country of origin for the certificate.
- In the Company Name field, enter the complete name of your business.
- Note: Some certificate authorities may not accept special characters in the Company and Company Division field. If your company name includes symbols other than a period or a comma, check with your certificate authority to confirm that they are acceptable.
- In the Company Division section, enter the name of the department or group within the company. This is optional.
- In the Email field, enter a secure email address where you can be contacted to verify domain ownership.
- In the Passphrase field, enter a passphrase if your certificate authority requires one for verification purposes.
- Click Create.
Once the certificates have been created, WHM will display the CSR
with its corresponding SSL certificate
and private key
. Copy and paste these items into the correct directories.
- If you provided an email address, this information will be sent to that email address.
If you purchased an SSL certificate
, provide the CSR
to the company from which you purchased the the SSL certificate
If you used a self-signed certificate
, proceed to the Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain
Topic revision: r14 - 20 Nov 2013 - 15:06:28 - Main.LaurenceSimon