For WHM version 11.40
WHM allows you to specify the maximum number of emails that a particular domain can send per hour. This allows you to limit spam
and better regulate bandwidth
that domains on your server use.
Set the default limit for all domains
To set the email limit for your domains, enter a value for the Max hourly emails per domain
setting in WHM's Tweak Settings
interface. (Home >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings)
This value is the default threshold for all of the domains that are on your sever, except domains for which you have manually set a different threshold.
- Important: You cannot use Max hourly emails per domain to disable email for an account or domain.
Max hourly emails in the Tweak Settings interface.
Limit email for an account's domains
To limit the number of emails per hour that an account's domains can send:
- Navigate to the Modify an Account interface in WHM (Main >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account).
- Specify a value for the Hourly Email by Domain Relayed configuration option.
- Click Save.
This option sets the email limit for all
of the subdomains, addon domains and parked domains that are associated with an account's main domain. If you enter a new limit with the Modify an Account
feature, only the main domain and any domains that do not have individual values defined will be reset to the new value.
Set thresholds for an individual domain
If you wish for an individual domain to have a different threshold from the main domain, you can also configure thresholds separately for each domain.
To set the threshold for Max hourly emails per domain
for an individual domain, perform the following via the command line as
- With your preferred editor, open the
Note: =$account represents the username that owns the domain for which you wish to set Max hourly emails per domain.
- Add the
MAX_EMAIL_PER_HOUR- line to
- Specify number of email messages that the domain will be allowed to send per hour. Separate the domain and maximum number of messages with an equals sign (
=). For example:
- Save the changes to the
- This script constructs the individual threshold files that Exim uses to determine whether the account has reached its maximum email threshold.
The threshold for
will resemble the following:
A domain without
a specific entry in the
file will be assigned the value of
if it exists. If it does not exist, a domain will be assigned the default entry on the Tweak Settings
Topic revision: r14 - 02 Oct 2013 - 19:02:36 - Main.ColinShannon