Configure Reverse DNS for BIND in WHM
For WHM version 11.40
uses pointer records (PTR) to convert IP addresses into domain names. This is the opposite of forward DNS
, which uses
records to convert domain names into IP addresses.
PTR records require authoritative DNS
nameservers before they can function properly, but many hosting providers do not delegate authority for PTR records to their customers. To find the authoritative DNS
nameservers of your server's main IP address
, trace the SOA (Start Of Authority) with the
For example, if your server's main IP address
, you would run the following command:
dig +nssearch 32.0.192.in-addr.arpa.
Changes to your server's DNS
nameservers will not take effect if your server's DNS
nameservers are not authoritative for your IP address
. Contact your upstream provider to either delegate authority to your nameservers or set up PTR records for your nameservers.
Add the reverse DNS zone file
To create the reverse DNS
- Navigate to WHM's Add a DNS Zone feature (Home >> DNS Functions >> Add a DNS Zone).
- In the IP field, enter your IP address.
Warning: This feature does not yet recognize IPv6 addresses. To add an IPv6 reverse DNS zone (
ip6.arpa), you must enter an IPv4 address in the Ip field. Once you add the zone, you can then use the Edit DNS Zone feature to remove the
CNAME records from the zone.
- In the Domain field, enter the appropriate name for the new reverse DNS zone.
- For information on how to name your DNS zone, read the Name the IPv4 reverse DNS zone? or Name the IPv6 reverse DNS zone? documentation.
- Click the Add Zone button.
The Domain Selection section of the Add DNS Zone screen.
Name the IPv4 reverse DNS zone
To properly format the Domain
field in the interface using IPv4:
- Drop the last octet from the IP address.
- Reverse the order of the remaining octets.
in-addr.arpa to the end of the remaining octets.
- Enter this value in the Domain field.
For example, the reverse DNS
You will specify the last octet of the IP address within the zone file
Edit the Reverse DNS Zone File
After you create your zone file, use WHM's Edit DNS Zone
feature (Home >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone
) to create each PTR record.
Your zone file should already contain an
entry for every authoritative nameserver
associated with your server.
To create a PTR record:
- Enter the octet(s) or nibble(s) in an available field under Add New Entries Below this Line.
PTR in the corresponding menu. The Hostname field will appear.
- In the Hostname field, enter the hostname that corresponds to the last octet(s) or nibble(s) in the IP address.
Create a PTR record on the Edit DNS Zone screen.
Test Your Records
To ensure that reverse DNS
is properly configured after the information has propagated, run the following command:
If you have properly configured your reverse DNS
zone file, the output should resemble the following:
user@host: [~]# host 192.168.0.1
22.214.171.124.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer www.example.com.