Last modified: July 12, 2023
If the Manage Team feature does not appear, ask your system administrator to enable it in WHM’s Feature Manager interface (WHM » Home » Package » Feature Manager).
The Create a Team User interface lets you create a new team user. It is part of the cPanel Manage Team interface (cPanel » Home » Preferences » Manage Team).
To create a team user, click Create Team User in the List Team table (cPanel » Home » Preferences » Manage Team). A new interface will appear. It displays the various settings for a team user, such as their username, password, role, and other settings.
MySQL® and team users
When a team owner creates a team user account, the system creates a virtual MySQL user account for that team user. Each MySQL user account will have the username format
team-owner_team-user. For example, if team owner Jane creates team user John, then John’s MySQL user account name would be
The status of each MySQL user account will correspond to the status of the team user account. If a team owner deletes, suspends, or reinstates a team user, then the system will delete, suspend, or reinstate the associated MySQL user account.
Create a Team User
To create a new team user, perform the following steps:
Enter the username for the new team user in the Username text box. The username will always precede the cPanel account’s primary domain (for example,
In the Password section, select The user will set the account password to send the team user an email to allow them to set their password. Or, select Set the user’s password to set the team user’s password. For information on requirements for secure passwords, read our Password & Security documentation.
- If desired, click Generate to let the system create a secure password for you. The system will reveal this password. You can also click the more icon () to select password complexity settings. The system will use these settings when it generates a new password.
Enter the team user’s email address in the Contact Email text box.
Select the desired options from the Roles menu to assign roles to a team user. If you do not assign roles to a team user, that team user will only be able to edit their personal account preferences. Roles are a set of privileges, features, files, or tasks that a team user can use.Note:
Team users with Email and Web roles will have MySQL user accounts, but they will not be able to access phpMyAdmin.
Role Description Administrator This role enables a team user to access high-level tools and modify files in the team owner’s cPanel account. It includes all privileges connected to each of the other roles. Database This role enables a team user to access tools and modify files related to database management for the team owner’s cPanel account, such as MySQL Manager. This role enables a team user to access tools and modify files related to email administration for the team owner’s cPanel account, such as email routing and mailing lists. Web This role enables a team user to access tools and modify files related to website functionality, such as Wordpress Toolkit and bandwidth.
Select the I have read and understood the security risk warning. checkbox.
In the Notes text box, enter any notes related to the team user. The text box can contain up to 100 characters. This text box is optional.
Service Description This service gives the team user access to email for the cPanel account. To enable the Email service, set the toggle to Enabled, then set your desired quota. You may choose an unlimited quota or set a maximum number of megabytes (MB), gigabytes (GB), terabytes (TB), or petabytes (PB).Important:
- Due to mail server constraints, you cannot assign quotas that exceed 4,294,967,296 MB (4096 TB or 4 PB). Select Unlimited for quotas that exceed this amount.
- If your hosting provider defined a maximum email account quota for your account, you cannot select the Unlimited value. Instead, the interface displays the Maximum value. The Quota value cannot exceed this amount.
FTP This service gives the team user access to website files for the cPanel account. To enable the FTP service, set the toggle to Enabled, then set your desired quota. You may choose an unlimited quota or set a maximum number of megabytes (MB), gigabytes (GB), terabytes (TB), or petabytes (PB). If desired, you may enter a name for the home directory in the Home Directory text box.Important:
- The FTP service is only available if your hosting provider has enabled it.
- SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) uses your cPanel account’s shell access to transfer files. Team user accounts cannot use SFTP. For more information, read our How To Configure Your SFTP Client documentation.
- To view past FTP connections to your site, navigate to cPanel’s Raw Access interface (cPanel » Home » Metrics » Raw Access).
- If your server uses the ProFTPD FTP server, you cannot use quotas. Additionally, the Manage Team interface will not display the Quota setting. For more information, contact your hosting provider.
Web Disk This service allows the team user to manage and manipulate files on your server in multiple types of interfaces (for example, your computer, mobile device, or certain types of software). To enable the Web Disk service, set the toggle to Enabled. If desired, you may enter a name for the home directory in the Home Directory text box. Then, set your desired permissions. You may choose either Read-Write or Read-Only permissions. You may also enable Digest Authentication.Important:
- You must enable Digest Authentication if you use Windows® Vista, Windows® 7, or Windows® 8, or Windows® 10 and you access Web Disk over a clear text, unencrypted connection. You do not need to enable Digest Authentication if you meet the following conditions:
- The domain has an SSL certificate that a recognized certificate authority signed.
- You can connect to Web Disk with SSL over port
- Do not enable Digest Authentication if the domain uses a signed SSL certificate.
In the Security Settings section, you can enter expiration information for the new team user. The expiration setting suspends the account on the specified date in the future.
- If desired, select a date from the Expire On menu.
- In the Expire Reason text box, enter a reason for the expiration. The text box can contain up to 100 characters. This text box is optional.
Click Create to create the new team user and return to the Manage Team interface. The system will send an activation email to the new team user. You can click Go Back to cancel this action and return to the Manage Team interface.