For cPanel & WHM 11.46
(Home >> SSL/TLS >> Generate an SSL Certificate and Signing Request)
This feature allows you to simultaneously generate both a self-signed SSL certificate and a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for a domain. You can also generate private keys with this feature, which are essential for self-signed certificates and purchased certificates.
If you wish to purchase a certificate, submit the CSR to your chosen certificate authority. They will provide you with a certificate, typically in a
.zip file sent via email.
For more information, read our Purchase and Install an SSL Certificate documentation.
To receive the SSL certificate, private key, and CSR in an email, enter an email address in the Email Address text box.
Do not email the private key if your email service provider does not support secure mail via SSL/TLS.
Private Key Options
Select the key size from the menu. We recommend that you choose 2,048 bits.
To generate an SSL certificate and CSR, perform the following steps:
- In the Domains text box, enter the domain name of the website that the certificate will secure.
- For more informatio about how to share SSL certificates, read our Manage SSL Hosts documentation.
- In the City text box, enter the complete name of the city in which your servers are located.
- In the State text box, enter the complete name of the state in which your servers are located.
- In the Country text box, select the country of origin for the certificate.
In the Company Name text box, enter the complete name of your business.
Some certificate authorities may not accept special characters in the Company and Company Division text box. If your company name includes symbols other than a period or a comma, check with your certificate authority to confirm that they are acceptable.
In the Company Division section, enter the name of the department or group within the company.
- In the Email text box, enter a secure contact email address to verify domain ownership.
Enter a passphrase in the Passphrase text box, if your certificate authority requires one for verification purposes.
After you enter the correct information, click Create.
After you create the certificates, WHM will display the CSR with its SSL certificate and private key. Copy and paste these items into the correct directories.
- If you provided an email address, the system will send the information to that email address.
If you purchased an SSL certificate, provide the CSR to the company from which you purchased the SSL certificate.