For cPanel & WHM version 56
(Home >> Mail >> Default Address)
This document describes functionality from cPanel's deprecated x3 theme. We strongly recommend that you use cPanel's current theme (Paper Lantern) instead.
- We removed the deprecated x3 theme from new installations in cPanel & WHM version 60.
- Make certain that you read the appropriate documentation for your version of cPanel & WHM.
- For more information, read our What's My Version Number documentation.
- cPanel's Paper Lantern theme does not include certain x3 theme-specific features.
- For a complete list of Paper Lantern features, read our cPanel Features List documentation.
- If you need a feature that the Paper Lantern theme does not include, submit a feature request.
This interface allows you to set up a default address (catch-all address) that receives any mail that was sent to an invalid email address for the domain. You can also define how the default address handles incoming messages.
If spammers target your domain, and you forward mail to a default address, that address is likely to receive a large amount of spam.
Set Default Address
To set a default address for your domain, perform the following steps:
- Select the domain for which you wish to set a default address.
Select one of the following options:
- Discard the email while your server processes it by SMTP time with an error message — Select this option to send an error message to the sender. Enter an error message in the The failure message that the sender sees text box.
Forward to Email Address — Select this option to forward mail to another address. Enter the email address or your cPanel account's username in the Email Address text box.
- Click Advanced Options to view the following additional options:
- Forward to your system account — Select this option to forward mail to the system account.
Pipe to a program — Select this option to forward messages to a program at the path that you define in the available text box.
For more information, read the Pipe to a Program section of our How to Configure Mail Filters documentation.
Discard — Select this option to delete incoming messages without a failure notice.
We do not recommend this option, because the sender will not know that the delivery failed.
- Click Change.