Download a Full Web Site Backup
Click Download a Full Web Site Backup to create, download, or store a full backup file. A full backup file includes your
/home directory, databases, email forwarders, and filters.
- You cannot use a full backup file to restore your website through the cPanel interface.
- You must download and compress the backup file before you attempt to restore it.
- After you decompress the backup file, you can upload and restore individual portions of your website that the full backup file contained.
Available Backups To Download
To download an existing full backup file to your computer, click the desired backup file's filename.
The backup file's creation date appears in the filename, which begins with
Generate a Full Backup
To create a new full backup, perform the following steps:
- Select a storage option from the Backup Destination menu:
- Home Directory — Select this option to save the backup file to the server.
- Remote FTP Server — Select this option to use FTP to store the backup file on a remote server.
- Remote FTP Server (Passive Mode Transfer) — Select this option to use passive FTP to store the backup file on a remote server.
- SCP — Select this option to use secure copy protocol (SCP) to store the backup file on a remote server.
- Select a notification option:
- To receive a notification when the backup finishes, enter your email address in the available text box.
- If you do not wish to receive a notification, select Do not send email notification of backup completion.
- If you selected Remote FTP Server, Remote FTP Server (Passive Mode Transfer), or SCP from the Backup Destination menu, enter the remote destination's information in the available text boxes.
- Click Generate Backup.
Only advanced users should select the Remote FTP Server, Remote FTP Server (Passive Mode Transfer), or SCP destination options.
Partial backup files store individual sections of your account.
Download a partial backup
To download your entire
/home directory, your SQL databases, or your email forwarders and filters, click the desired items. This method downloads the backup as a
.gz file to your computer.
The Email Filters backup files only store the domain account-level email filters in the
/etc/vfilters/$domain file. The backup file does not store user account-level email filters.
Restore a partial backup
To use a partial backup to restore a portion of your website, perform the following steps:
- Click Choose File under the appropriate heading.
- For example, to restore a MySQL database, click Choose File under the Restore a MySQL Database heading.
- Select the backup file from your computer.
- Click Upload to restore that portion of your website.
The System Backups section of this interface is only available if your hosting provider has enabled system backups.
Use this section of the interface to download a compressed copy of your website’s files. You may select the most recent monthly, weekly, or daily backup.