MySQL does not allow you to rename a database. When cPanel & WHM "renames" a database, the system performs the following steps:
- The system creates a new database.
- The system moves data from the old database to the new database.
- The system recreates grants and stored code in the new database.
- The system deletes the old database and its grants.
- If any of the first three steps fail, the system returns an error and attempts to restore the database's original state. If the restoration process fails, the API function's error response describes these additional failures.
- In rare cases, the system creates the second database successfully, but fails to delete the old database or grants. The system treats the rename action as a success; however, the API function returns warnings that describe the failure to delete the old database or grants.