(WHM >> Home >> Networking Setup >> Change Hostname)
The Internet uses your hostname as a label by which to identify your physical server. This interface allows you to change your server's hostname.
- Do not select a hostname that begins with
www or a number, or a hostname that ends with a hyphen (
- You must use a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) that uniquely identifies the server (for example,
- Do not choose a hostname that a cPanel account on your server will use.
- Do not choose a potential proxy subdomain as a hostname (for example,
- Do not select a socially-unacceptable hostname. The hostname will appear in mail headers.
- Only use lowercase, Latin-script letters in hostnames.
The system displays your current hostname under the Current Hostname heading.
How to change your hostname
To change your hostname, perform the following steps:
Enter the new hostname into the New Hostname text box.
|You must use a fully-qualified domain name as your new hostname. Your new hostname should also resolve to the server's main IP address.|
- Click Change. A popup window will appear that confirms the hostname change is in progress.
- After the system changes your hostname, scroll to the bottom of the interface and click Add An A Entry for your hostname. WHM's Add an A Entry for Your Hostname interface (WHM >> Home >> DNS Functions >> Add an A Entry for Your Hostname).
- Review the information about your server and, if it is correct, click Add Entry.
The system will automatically configure the new hostname and add the correct A entry.
- When you change your hostname, the system preserves the old hostname until you reboot the server so that currently-running services can function in a consistent environment.
- If you must change your hostname for non-cPanel configuration files or services, these services continue to function until you manually adjust them.
- If you use External Authentication, you must update the Redirection URI settings in the configuration settings at the external authentication provider's site to reflect the new hostname.