Fight Spam in Webmail v84
Valid for versions 84 through the latest version
This section includes features that help you manage and protect your inbox from spam.
Use this interface to filter unwanted spam email before it reaches your inbox.
Spam Auto Delete Threshold
Set this score to automatically delete messages that meet or exceed the Set a custom threshold score.
Make certain that you properly configure the score. It permanently deletes any message that meets or exceeds the score. This could include non-spam messages.
Configure Auto Delete Settings
To enable and customize the Set a custom threshold score:
- Select Set a custom threshold.
- Enter a number in the Set a custom threshold text box.
- The lower the threshold, the more emails the server will discard.
- Click Submit.
To disable the Auto-Delete feature, select Disable Spam Auto-Delete. Then, click Submit.
Use BoxTrapper to filter spam from your inbox. It uses a challenge-response method to verify the sender. BoxTrapper-enabled accounts respond to incoming emails with a verification email. The sender must finish the process before the email goes to your inbox.
To enable BoxTrapper, click Enable.
When you enable BoxTrapper, it automatically whitelists the addresses you send email to. The system does this even if you disable automatic whitelisting.
Use the following options to edit BoxTrapper settings:
To configure BoxTrapper settings, perform the following steps:
- Click Configure Settings.
- Enter a comma-separated list of email addresses that forward mail to the account in the Email addresses for this account text box.
- Enter your name in the Your Name text box.
- Enter the number of days for which you wish to keep logs and messages in the The number of days that you wish to keep logs and messages in the queue. text box.
- Enter the desired minimum spam score in the Minimum SpamAssassin Spam Score required to bypass BoxTrapper text box.
When BoxTrapper receives an email with a spam score that is lower than the Minimum SpamAssassin Spam Score required to bypass BoxTrapper value, it automatically delivers the message. The default value for this option is
- To enable or disable automatic whitelisting, select the appropriate checkbox.
BoxTrapper will automatically whitelist any email address to which you send a message.
- Select the Automatically whitelist the To and From lines from whitelisted senders (whitelist by association) checkbox to automatically whitelist addresses in the To and CC lines of incoming whitelisted emails.
- Click Save.
Edit Confirmation Messages
To configure your BoxTrapper messages, perform the following steps:
- Click Edit Confirmation Messages. BoxTrapper automatically responds to email with messages that the system builds from the following templates:
blacklist— BoxTrapper responds with this message when a blacklisted address sends an email.
returnverify— BoxTrapper responds with this message when the verification process fails.
verifyreleased— BoxTrapper responds with this message when a person responds to the verify message with an email or a click on the verification link.
verify— BoxTrapper responds with this message when an address that does not exist on the whitelist or blacklist sends an email. This message requests a response to confirm that the sender is legitimate.
- To customize the verification and blacklist message templates, click Edit. (To restore the default message templates, click Reset to Default.) A new interface will appear. These templates use the following variables:
%email%— The sender’s email address.
%fromname%— The recipient’s name.
%subject%— The subject of the sender’s email.
%acct%— The recipient’s username.
%msgid%— The message ID of the sender’s email.
%headers%— The heading information of the sender’s email.
%endif%— These tags enclose a section that allows BoxTrapper to verify senders through a web link.Warning:
Do not alter
verify#%msgid%in the subject line of the verify message template. BoxTrapper requires that specific code to function properly.
To edit the white, black, or ignore lists, perform the following steps:
- Click Edit White/Black/Ignore lists.
- Click the list that you want to modify.
- Enter any messages, subjects, or email addresses to filter.
- Click Save.
The system compares every new message that you receive against the following three lists:
- Whitelist — The system delivers messages directly to your inbox.
- Ignore list — The system deletes messages without a notification.
- Blacklist — The system deletes messages, and the sender receives a reply that indicates that the system blocked the message.
Click Forward List to update the account’s forward list. Enter email addresses that you wish to add to the forward list, and click Save. The system will automatically forward whitelisted emails to these addresses.
The system organizes this log by day and displays any activity for an email address that uses BoxTrapper. Use this log, for example, to isolate problems with email delivery.
Click Review Queue to view any unverified BoxTrapper mail.
To deliver or delete messages, perform the following steps:
- Select the checkbox for the desired day.
- Select Delete to delete the messages. Select Whitelist and Deliver to whitelist the address deliver the messages.
- Click Submit.
To see the contents of a message, perform the following steps:
- Click the email’s sender, subject, or date to see the entire message, headers, and more delivery options. For example, you can ignore or blacklist a sender.
- Select the option for which you wish to filter.
- Click Go.