PHP FastCGI Process Manager - PHP-FPM
PHP FastCGI Process Manager (PHP-FPM) is an alternative FastCGI daemon for PHP that allows a website to handle high loads. PHP-FPM maintains pools (workers that can respond to PHP requests) to accomplish this. PHP-FPM is faster than traditional CGI-based methods, such as SUPHP, for multi-user PHP environments. It does not overload a system’s memory with PHP from Apache processes.
- LiteSpeed Web Server uses the
lsphpbinary. LiteSpeed Web Server does not use the system’s PHP-FPM implementation in WHM’s MultiPHP Manager interface (WHM >> Home >> Software >> MultiPHP Manager).
- To monitor applications that use PHP-FPM, select the Monitor checkbox for the PHP-FPM service for cPanel Daemons service in WHM’s Service Manager interface (WHM >> Home >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager).
Running PHP-FPM with CentOS 7 and EasyApache 4
On CentOS 7 systems, EasyApache 4 uses the
PrivateTmp option with PHP-FPM. EasyApache 4 does this to increase security for temporary files that the running processes in PHP-FPM access. The
PrivateTmp option creates special directories in the
/tmp directory for each Apache PHP-FPM version your system uses. It’s possible that each time you or the system restarts the PHP-FPM service, the
PrivateTmp option will create a new directory.
PrivateTmp-created directories, either manually or automatically, will cause errors in applications or websites that use PHP-FPM. We strongly encourage that you do not remove these directories. If you need to remove any of these directories, we recommend that you restart the Apache PHP-FPM service. This ensures that Apache PHP-FPM will work correctly.
To restart Apache PHP-FPM, use the following command:
Tutorials on how to use PHP-FPM
- Configuration Values of PHP-FPM — This document lists the cPanel PHP-FPM system’s configuration settings and their default values.
- PHP-FPM Code and FileSystem Layout for EasyApache4 — This document explains how to implement PHP-FPM, the filesystem layout of PHP-FPM, and how to adjust PHP versions.
php_fpm_configScript — This document explains when and how to use the
- PHP-FPM User Pools – This document explains how to create a user pool with PHP-FPM.