Valid for versions 88 through the latest version
Last modified: February 17, 2023
When a visitor accesses a directory rather than a page on your website, the browser typically displays the directory’s index page. If no index page exists, the browser displays a list of the files in that directory. Use the Indexes interface to define how the server displays a specific directory’s index to a visitor, or to disable the index display for a directory.
Configure directory settings
To configure your directory settings, perform the following steps:
- Click Settings and then select one of the following locations in which to begin navigation:
- Home — Begin navigation in the home directory for the domain.
- Web Root — Begin navigation in the document root for the account’s primary domain.
- Document Root for — Select the domain that corresponds to the document root in which you wish to begin navigation.
- To configure the interface to always open your selection from Step 1, select the Always open this directory in the future checkbox.
- Click Save Changes.
Manage index settings
To manage a directory’s index settings, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the desired folder with the following:
- To navigate a directory, click the folder icon () or the directory’s name.
- To navigate up one level of the directory tree, click Up One Level at the top of the list of directory contents.
- To to navigate the home directory, click Home above the list of directories.
- To view and select subdirectories, click the parent directory’s name. Then, click the desired subdirectory name.
- To configure the security settings for a directory or subdirectory, click Edit under the Actions column. A new interface will appear.
- Select one of the following options:
- Inherit — The directory inherits the parent directory’s index setting. If the parent directory does not possess index settings, the directory uses the system default settings.
- No Indexing — The server does not list the contents of the directory. Browsers display a message that states that the contents are forbidden.
- Show Filename Only — The server lists the directory’s contents as filenames only.
- Show Filename and Description — The server lists file names and additional information, such as file size and file type.
- Click Save. The new index setting will appear in the Indexes interface under the Index Type column.