How to Configure Google Drive as a Backup Additional Destination
Last modified: January 18, 2022
This document explains how to set up your Google Drive™ account as an Additional Destination in WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Backup Configuration).
- Create a Google account.
- Create a Google Console project.
- Enable the Google Drive API from the Google Console.
Create your account credentials
To set up Google Drive account credentials for backups, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Google API Manager website.
- In the left side navigation bar, click Credentials.
- Click Create credentials.
- Click Help me choose.
- From the Which API are you using? menu, select Google Drive API.
- Select User Data under What data will you be accessing? and click Next.
Note:The steps beyond this point may vary if you have already signed up or have authorized this API.
- In the App Information section, enter the information for App Name and User Support Email.
- In the Developer contact information section, enter the email address for the developer. Click Save and continue.
The Set up OAuth consent screen may appear. Google allows users to complete the form after they set up the OAuth consent screen.
- The fields in the Scopes section are optional.
- In the OAuth Client ID menu, select Web application as the Application Type you plan to use.
Note:There may be additional fields to fill out based on the application you have chosen.
HOSTNAMErepresents the hostname of a server:
- In the Authorized redirect URIs field, add an entry for each URI.
- Click Create. The Credentials interface will appear.
- Click Download to get a copy of the newly-created credentials.
- Save them in a secure location. Step 7 of the Create a Google Drive transport procedure requires these credentials.
Create your OAuth consent screen
To set up an OAuth consent screen, perform the following steps:
- Click APIs & Services.
- Click OAuth consent screen. The Oauth consent screen configuration interface will appear.
- Under Test Users, click Add Users. A sidebar will appear.
- Enter the email addresses from steps 7 and 8 from the previous procedure.
- Click Save.
Note:After you validate the backup destination, you can go back to this interface and click Publish to publish the application.
Increase your quota limit
- Scroll down on the Google Cloud Platform project Dashboard page.
- Click Google Drive API.
- Click Quotas.
- Click the down arrow by Queries per day.
- Click Edit by the Quota Name. A sidebar will appear.
- Enter a number to change your quota limit.
Create a Google Drive transport
While you perform these steps, disable any popup blockers in your browser to prevent errors.
To create a Google Drive transport, perform the following steps:
- Log in to WHM as a
- Navigate to WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Backup Configuration) and select the Additional Destinations tab.
- From the Destination Type menu, select Google Drive™.
- Click Create New Destination.
- In the Destination Name text box, enter a display name for this backup destination.
- In the Folder text box, enter the desired folder in which to store backups.
Note:If you do not specify a folder, the system will store backups in the top-level folder.
- Enter your Client ID and Client secret.
- Click Generate Credentials to create the credentials file. A new tab will appear that allows you to authorize access to your Google Drive data.
- Follow Google’s directions to authorize access to your Google Drive.
- When the message Credentials successfully generated appears, close that browser tab to return to the tab with the WHM interface.
- In the Timeout text box, enter the desired timeout duration. This value defaults to
- Click Save Destination.
- To validate your remote destination, click Save and Validate Destination.
- If you do not authorize access to your Google Drive data, this action will fail.