How to Configure Google Drive as a Backup Additional Destination
Last modified: May 14, 2021
This document explains how to set up your Google Drive™ account as an Additional Destination in WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Backup Configuration).
- Create a Google account.
- Enable the Google Drive API from the Google API Console.
- Generate account credentials.
- Set Google’s Queries per 100 seconds per user setting to
10000. For more information, read Google’s Limits and Quotas on API Requests documentation.
Create your account credentials
To set up Google Drive account credentials for backups, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Google API Manager website.
- In the left side navigation bar, click Credentials.
- Click Create credentials.
- Click Help me choose.
- From the Which API are you using? menu, select Google Drive API.
- From the What data will you be accessing? menu, select User Data.
Note:The steps beyond this point may vary if you have already signed up or have authorized this API.
- In the App Information section, enter the information for App Name and User Support Email.
- In the Developer Information section, enter the email address for the developer.
The Set up OAuth consent screen may appear. Google allows users to complete the form after they set up the OAuth consent screen.
- The fields in the Scopes section is optional.
- In the OAuth Client ID. menu, select the Application Type you plan to use.
Note:There may be additional fields to fill out based on the application you have chosen.
- Click Create. The interface will display your new client ID and client secret within these interfaces.
- We strongly recommend that you save these credentials in a secure location. Step 7 of the Create a Google Drive transport procedure requires these credentials.
- You can also download a JSON file with your client ID and client secret, or access them in the Credentials section.
Create a Google Drive transport
While you perform these steps, disable any popup blockers in your browser to prevent errors.
To create a Google Drive transport, perform the following steps:
- Log in to WHM as a
- Navigate to WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM >> Home >> Backup >> Backup Configuration) and scroll to the Additional Destinations section.
- From the Destination Type menu, select Google Drive™.
- Click Create new destination.
- In the Destination Name text box, enter a display name for this backup destination.
- In the Folder text box, enter the desired folder in which to store backups.
Note:If you do not specify a folder, the system will store backups in the top-level folder.
- Enter your Client ID and Client secret.
- Click Generate Credentials to create the credentials file. A new tab will appear that allows you to authorize access to your Google Drive data.
- Follow Google’s directions to authorize access to your Google Drive.
- When the message Credentials successfully generated appears, close that browser tab to return to the tab with the WHM interface.
- In the Timeout text box, enter the desired timeout duration. This value defaults to
- Click Save Destination.
- To validate your remote destination, click Save and Validate Destination.
- If you do not authorize access to your Google Drive data, this action will fail.