How to Configure Google Drive as a Backup Additional Destination
Last modified: February 23, 2023
This document explains how to set up your Google Drive™ account as an Additional Destination in WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM » Home » Backup » Backup Configuration).
Before you can use Google Drive as a backup destination, you must perform the following steps:
- Create a Google account.
- Create a Google Console project.
- Enable the Google Drive API from the Google Console.
Create your account credentials
To set up Google Drive account credentials for backups, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to the Google API Manager website.
- In the left side navigation bar, click Credentials.
- Click Create credentials.
- Click Help me choose.
In the Credential Type section, perform the following steps:
- In the Which API are you using? menu, select Google Drive API.
- In the What data will you be accessing? menu, select User Data.
- Click NEXT.
OAuth Consent Screen
If this is the first time you have authorized this API, the OAuth Consent Screen section will appear. Perform the following steps:
- In the App Information section, enter the information for App Name and select the User Support Email.
- In the Developer contact information section, enter your email address.
- Click SAVE AND CONTINUE.
In the Scopes section, perform the following steps:
- Click ADD OR REMOVE SCOPES if you wish to update the scopes for the app. This step is optional.
- Click SAVE AND CONTINUE.
OAuth Client ID
In the OAuth Client ID section, perform the following steps:
- In the OAuth Client ID menu, select Web application as the Application type you plan to use.
- Enter a name for the application in the Name field.
- In the Authorized redirect URIs field, add an entry for each server performing backups to this location, where
HOSTNAMErepresents the hostname of a server:
- Click CREATE. The Your Credentials section will appear.
- Click DOWNLOAD to download the newly-created credentials.
You can also access the credentials in the Credentials interface.
- Click DONE.
Copy the client ID and client secret and save them to a secure location. Step 7 of the Create a Google Drive transport procedure requires these credentials.
Set up your OAuth consent screen
To set up an OAuth consent screen, perform the following steps:
- In the lefthand menu, click OAuth consent screen. A configuration interface will appear.
- Under Test Users, click ADD USERS. A sidebar will appear.
- Enter the email address(es) you added in the initial OAuth Consent Screen section.
- Click SAVE.
Create a Google Drive transport
While you perform these steps, disable any popup blockers in your browser to prevent errors.
To create a Google Drive transport, perform the following steps:
- Log in to WHM as a user with
- Navigate to WHM’s Backup Configuration interface (WHM » Home » Backup » Backup Configuration) and select the Additional Destinations tab.
- In the Destination Type menu, select Google Drive™.
- Click Create New Destination.
- In the Destination Name text box, enter a display name for this backup destination.
- In the Folder text box, enter the desired folder in which to store backups.
Note:If you do not specify a folder, the system will store backups in the top-level folder.
- Enter your Client ID and Client secret.
- Click Generate Credentials to create the credentials file. A new tab will appear that allows you to authorize access to your Google Drive data.
- Follow Google’s directions to authorize access to your Google Drive.
- When the message Credentials successfully generated appears, close that browser tab to return to the tab with the WHM interface.
- In the Timeout text box, enter the desired timeout duration. This value defaults to
- Click Save Destination.
- To validate your remote destination, click Save and Validate Destination.
- If you do not authorize access to your Google Drive data, this action will fail.