Last modified: July 7, 2020
This interface allows you to select an FTP server daemon, or to disable FTP services.
- This interface is unavailable when you disable the FTP server role. Certain server profiles disable this role in WHM’s Server Profile (WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Server Profile). For more information, read our How to Use Server Profiles documentation.
- We disable FTP services by default because the FTP protocol sends clear-text usernames and passwords over public networks. It also does not enforce encryption, so third parties can attack the transmitted data. We recommend that you use transfer methods that use encryption, such as the
scpcommand or cPanel’s File Manager interface (cPanel >> Home >> Files >> File Manager).
How to select an FTP daemon
To select an FTP daemon for your server, perform the following steps:
In the FTP Server column, select ProFTPD or Pure-FTPd.
- Select Disabled to disable FTP services.
Pure-FTPd and ProFTPD
- We strongly recommend that you enable TLSv1.2 on your server.
- You can use TLSv1.1 or TLSv1.2 to manage your Pure-FTPd server.
The following list offers comparisons between these FTP server daemons:
- Pure-FTPd typically provides faster FTP transfers than ProFTPD.
- Pure-FTPd does not display statistics in the statistics menu.
- Pure-FTPd supports virtual user quotas; ProFTPD does not.
- ProFTPD will display your bandwidth usage, allowing you to monitor the amount of bandwidth that FTP sessions use.