Last modified: August 7, 2023
This interface is only available when you enable the FTP server role in WHM’s Server Profile interface (WHM » Home » Server Configuration » Server Profile).
- We disable FTP services by default because the FTP protocol sends clear-text usernames and passwords over public networks. It also does not enforce encryption, so third parties can attack the transmitted data. We recommend that you use transfer methods that use encryption, such as the
scpcommand or cPanel’s File Manager interface (cPanel » Home » Files » File Manager).
- We support Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol version 1.2.
How to select an FTP daemon
To select an FTP daemon for your server, perform the following steps:
- In the FTP Server column, select ProFTPD or Pure-FTPD.
- Select Disabled to disable FTP services.
- Click Save.
Pure-FTPd and ProFTPD
The following list offers comparisons between these FTP server daemons:
- Pure-FTPd typically provides faster FTP transfers than ProFTPD.
- Pure-FTPd does not display statistics in the statistics menu.
- Pure-FTPd supports virtual user quotas; ProFTPD does not.
- ProFTPD will display your bandwidth usage, allowing you to monitor the amount of bandwidth that FTP sessions use.
Troubleshoot unmanaged FTP services
For more information, read our How to Restore Missing FTP Interfaces in cPanel documentation.